One night I was up watching The Ugly Truth and decided to satisfy my dessert craving with a giant bowl of Caramel Caribou ice cream.
Needless to say, the guilt set in about 24 hours later. If I would have had the ingredients for my smoothie at the time, I could have saved myself a lot of self loathing brought on by my late night binge. Although there are a lot of carbohydrates and sugar in fruit smoothies, it’s a better option than a milkshake.
So for those of you who want to make a healthier treat, here’s my smoothie recipe. It’s also great for breakfast!
What you’ll need:
- 1 and 1/4 cup orange or pineapple juice (or something island-y)
- 1 cup frozen berries of your choice
- 1 banana
- 1 cup yogurt (I usually use the fat-free individually packaged ones by Yoplait)
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk (optional)
- ice (optional)
Give or take a little on these ingredient measurements. It’s all very approximated. I really just sort of throw it all in there. Add more or less to the mix depending on what you like or how many people you’re making it for. For example, two bananas or one and a half cups of berries would be just as delicious.
- Pour the frozen berries, pieces of banana and nonfat yogurt into blender.
- Add small handful of ice for a thicker, colder smoothie (optional).
- Add nonfat dry milk for an extra dose of calcium (optional).
- Pour orange or pineapple juice into the mix.
- Blend and enjoy!